Enhancing security of users’ biometrics and avoiding misuse of sensitive personal information in Aadhaar is very crucial. Here’s how you can lock/unlock your Aadhaar data…
While the security of Aadhaar has been questioned multiple times, Unique Identification Authority of India Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has said time and again that Aadhaar is completely secure and the data can not be stolen.
To enhance the security of users’ biometrics comprising fingerprints and iris data, and to avoid misuse of sensitive personal information, UIDAI launched a service, by which users can “lock/unlock” their biometric data. According to the UIDAI, the (lock/unlock) facility protects privacy and confidentiality of residents’ biometrics data. The facility, by allowing the temporary locking and unlocking of one’s biometric information, ensures that the Aadhaar holder can’t use their biometrics for authentication, thus preventing potential misuse of information.
There are mainly three ways to lock or unlock your Aadhaar data.
Here’s your step-by-step guide on how to do it.
1) Through the mAadhaar app
To follow this method, you’ll first have to install and log in to the UIDAI mAadhaar app.
* At the bottom of the screen, click on Biometrics Unlock notification.
* You’ll have to enter your mAadhaar password.
* Once authenticated, your biometrics will be locked, and you won’t be able to do any transactions now.
To unlock your biometrics, follow the procedure again.
2) Switching the toggle button in mAadhaar app
You can also use the toggle button in mAadhaar app to lock/unlock your biometrics. For this, click on the three dots icon on the top-right corner of the mAadhaar app. Then switch on/off the ‘Enable Biometrics Lock’ toggle button.
3) Here’s how you can lock/unlock Aadhaar details online through the UIDAI website
* Visit UIDAI’s online portal and select the “Lock/Unlock Biometrics” from the Aadhaar Services section.
* Enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number and the security code and click on the ‘Send OTP’ option.
* An OTP will be sent to your mobile number registered with Aadhaar.
* Enter the OTP sent to your mobile number and click on the ‘Login’ button.
* Your biometrics will now be locked when you enter the 4 digit security code displayed on the screen and click on the “Enable” button.
Here’s how you can unlock your biometrics
* In order to unlock the biometrics, click on the “Login” button.
* Enter your Aadhaar number and the security code in the space provided.
* Click on the “Send OTP” button to receive one-time password on your mobile.
* The OTP will be sent to the mobile number registered with Aadhaar.
* Enter this OTP in the space provided and click on the “Login” button.
* Enter the security code and click on the “Unlock” button and your biometrics will be unlocked temporarily for 10 minutes.